DIRECTOR, QUALITY STANDARDS
The Director, Quality Services, under the direction of the President, has responsibility for overall Quality Services activities, including direction of the inspection staff and implementation of Association grading policies and procedures at member mills. Responsible for the interpretation, development and application of WWPA grading rules, issues inspection certificates, certifies lumber graders, acts as staff executive to the Quality Standards Committee, provides liaison on grading related matters with other organizations, hires and trains Quality Standards staff members, approves mills and their personnel to use WWPA stamps, coordinates with the Chief Engineer and Product Support Services, on engineering support for grading, arranges mill surveys for members, and undertakes special assignments made by the President and is a senior member of staff management.
Specific Responsibilities and Authority
Within the limits of authorized Association policies, procedures, programs and budgets, the Director, Quality Standards, is responsible for and has the authority to accomplish the following:
- Directs all activities of the Quality Standards Department and staff, including hiring, training and evaluation.
- Supervises monthly mill inspections and provides ongoing analysis. This includes cooperating with ALSC on audits and issuing official grade stamps to mills, with the appropriate authority to withdraw such privileges when conditions warrant.
- Manages all matters pertaining to re-inspection in the marketplace, with adequate follow-up reports and actions.
- Proposes grading rule, policy and procedure changes or modifications to the Quality Standards Committee or management.
- Implements all grading rule changes, revisions, etc., as approved by the Quality Standards Committee or management.
- Participates with other rule-writing and inspection agencies on National Grade Rule interpretations and other matters of mutual concern, with special emphasis on relationships between PS 20 and WWPA grading rules.
- Authorizes qualified member plant personnel to issue official WWPA certificates on lumber shipments.
- Issues certificates to qualified mill graders, maintains records of their proficiency, and at least annually reviews their competency. Authorizes qualified member plant personnel to issue official WWPA certificates on lumber shipments.
- Serves as the Staff Executive to the Quality Standards Committee at regular and special meetings.
- Coordinates with the Chief Engineer and Product Support Services on grading related matters such as user education, engineering backup for grading rules and working stresses, machine stress-rated calibrations, records and mill approvals, certification of glued products and work on special products or standards matters.
- Administers the Group Grade Meeting program, delegating scheduling to appropriate staff members.
- As requested, and with the approval of management, carries out mill surveys for full members, including appropriate report follow-up.
- Manages all programs in the Quality Standards Department, Including but not limited to Hi-Q, QMS, No.1&BTR, White Fir, etc.
The Director of Quality Standards must be thoroughly familiar with all phases of lumber grading, manufacturing, and sawmilling practices. Preference will be given to a candidate with lumber grading and QC management experience with demonstrated ability to grade all western species and grades. Management experience is required, including experience in training and supervision. Strong administrative, organizational and communication skills are also required as well as proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs with advanced ability in Word and Excel. A college degree, or training in business, engineering, forestry or forest products, or research is preferred.
For more information or to be considered for this position please email your resume or CV to email@example.com